Howard Penniman Scholarships for Graduate Study are awarded annually to up to 5 members entering graduate school in political science in the upcoming academic year. Nominations must come from the chapter advisors, accompanied by an official application and supporting documents as specified in the program announcement. The nomination deadline is May 1, and the winners will be notified by mid July. Each scholarship is $2,000. You can read more about the history of the Penniman Scholarship here.
How to Nominate
Each chapter is invited to nominate one candidate for the scholarship. The candidate’s Chapter Advisor should submit a completed application package to the National Office via email to email@example.com and must include each of the following:
1. Completed individual application form
2. A statement by the candidate describing his or her involvement in the local chapter and related voluntary activities in the department and/or the university
3. A statement by the candidate describing how graduate study in political science relates to his or her career goals
4. Letter of nomination from the nominee’s Chapter Advisor
5. Letters of recommendation from (2) two other faculty members
6. Official school transcript
The recipients of the Graduate Scholarships will be notified by mid July. The scholarship funds will be transferred with proof of enrollment in graduate political science programs within the current year.
NOTE: Pi Sigma Alpha does NOT support applications for students enrolling in Law School.
Pi Sigma Alpha no longer offers scholarships for graduate students entering their second year of study.
Maria Guadalupe Partida, St. Mary’s University (San Antonio)
2022 Penniman Scholarship Awardee
Master’s Student, University of Texas – Austin
Joshua Koss, Oakland University
2018 Penniman Scholarship Awardee
PhD Student, Michigan State University